Saturday, May 11, 2019

Immanuwel Aleem Battles Matt Korobov To A Majority Draw In Virginia!





(Photos by David Algranati)

In the opening televised portion of the Premier Boxing Champions card on FOX at the EagleBank Arena in Fairfax, VA., Matt Korobov and Immanuwel Aleem fought to a ten-round majority draw in their middleweight contest. Both Aleem and Korobov had their moments when it looked as if either fighter would land a knockout blow. It was in the sixth round where Korobov landed a hard straight left that stunned Aleem causing him to back up into the ropes. Aleem survived the shot to finish the round. After shaking off the shot Aleem landed some great shots of his own that looked to hurt Korobov. When the two were on the ropes they were doing some inside work until they started to clinch causing the referee to separated them. Aleem was the stronger finisher in the final round and looked to make the bout close. At first the bout was for Korobov as a  majority decision with scores of 96-95, 97-93 and 95-95, but after being reviewed judge Mark D"Attilio scored the contest for Aleem at 96-95 but was overruled by judges Brian Castello and Dorothea Perry who saw it the same 95-95. Immanuwel Aleem is now (18-1-2, 11 KO's) and Korobov add a draw to his recoerd, (28-2-1, 14 KO's).

KOROBOV:

"I felt heavy and not totally sharp enough. It was hard to react and stop him from going inside. I have things to work on. 

"He was tougher than I expected. He wasn't as strong as Charlo, but he is a really good fighter. He kept coming forward. He wasn't afraid. He just kept throwing punches."

ALEEM:

"I felt like I won. I didn't feel like he was doing enough. I was trying to use my range. He was just touching me. I realized when I started hitting him that he didnt have the gas.

"I am faster than people think. I see open shots better than people expect. I made a statement tonight and I want to keep making statements."

No comments:

Post a Comment