Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Local Female Amateur Boxer Successful In Atlanta Classic Tournament!

On June 4 - 6, 2021 the 3rd Annual Atlanta Classic, Females Only Amateur Boxing Tournament took place in Atlanta, GA at the Marriott Century Center. The tournament was hosted by Sweet Science Boxing Club. Up to 100 female athletes had the opportunity to compete exclusively in this USA boxing sanctioned tournament. The youngest female athlete to compete was 10 years in age and the most mature was 62. 

Clinton, MD's Raziyah Brown started boxing at the age of 14. After spending two years in the gym training, Brown, now 16 started competing in March of 2021. Her record of 0-2 didn't tell the true story of how hard she worked in the gym. For the next two months Raziyah's coaches, Daryl Brown and Wynton "Dog" Johnson continued to train her harder and work on the things she needed to improve on.

The two months of extra gym time paid off. Raziyah went to Atlanta, GA to enter the Atlanta Class Tournament in June. She captured the 132 lb. weight class championship title to give herself a new start to her amateur boxing career. Raziyah Brown is now 2-2 with her first championship title. 




Q&A with Raziyah Brown 

PAFT: What made you choose boxing? 

RB: I had just stopped cheering a year before and I was looking for a sport to do and I was starting to look into boxing and became really interested. The gym Sugar Ray Leonard wasn't to far from where I lived and I signed up not to long after. 

PAFT: Were you discouraged after working hard for two years and losing your first two fights? 

RB: After my two losses I wasn't discouraged. I just knew I needed to take a different approach with my training so when I got back into the gym I started training harder and doing things differently. 

PAFT: How did you feel entering the Atlanta Classic Tournament? 

RB: Going into the Atlanta Classic I felt good, I felt as though I was prepared and had established a nice game-plan for the fight(s) and I knew I just had to do what we practiced and what I knew. 

PAFT: How motivated are you now after winning the tournament and what's next for you? 

RB: From winning my next tournament I feel very motivated knowing that I won and can win and my training is working. Next I have a tournament in Texas the beginning of July and I feel very confident going into it. 

PAFT: How did you get the opportunity to do a photoshoot with the boxing appeal company TITLE? 

RB: TITLE was coming into town for the photoshoot. They wanted a female boxer due to my coach Daryl Brown I was able to do the photo shoot. It was a such a nice experience and I actually have a photo on titles website and a couple on their Instagram page.




No comments:

Post a Comment