Saturday, January 7, 2023

Davis vs. Garcia Pay-Per-View Featured Undercard Results




(Photos by Amanda Westcott/SHOWTIME)

Jaron Ennis of Philadelphia, PA became the interim IBF welterweight champion by getting a unanimous decision victory over Karen Chukhadzhian of Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Ennis spent a little longer than usual in this fight to figure his opponent, Chukhadzhian out. Chukhadzhian did a lot of moving as Ennis used his jab while cutting off the ring. The jab landed but wasn't effective enough to slow Chukhadzhian down before the early rounds ended. Going into the ninth-round Ellis started to gain some distance by sliding in closer after landing his jab. Ennis started to break Chukhadzhian down more in the tenth-round to slow him down. Ennis completed the final two rounds by landing the cleaner shots, but couldn't land the knockout punch that he was looking for. All three judges scored the contest 120-108. Jaron Ennis improves to (30-0, 27KO's) as Karen Chukhadzhian takes his second defeat at (21-2, 11KO's). 






Quotes
Jaron Ennis:

"We come here to dominate. I feel like I could have thrown more punches. I should stop that guy and that's on me. I wanted him to engage but we did what we could. 

“I learned to just take my time and to not rush anything. I’m glad I went 12 rounds. It felt great. I felt I was in the best shape. I just needed to throw a little more punches. I should have got him out of there.

 “He ran a lot. Hats off to him since a lot of guys didn’t want to fight me. So shout out to him for coming here and taking this fight.

“Everyone knows that I want Errol Spence and the winner of Virgil Ortiz and (Eimantas) Stanionis. You know – all the top guys. Let’s get it, you know?

“I’ll wait until the time is right and (Spence) is ready.”


********************************************************************************

In a 12-round IBF welterweight eliminator bout Roiman Villa of Rosario, Venezuela defeated Rashidi Ellis of Lynn, Massachusetts by 12-round majority decision. This was an competitively matched action packed eliminator bout. Ellis looked to get off to a good start in the early part of the bout. He used his speed to land some good jabs. Villa did not go anywhere throughout Ellis's offensive output. The two fighters went toe to toe many times going into the late rounds. Things started to change for the worse for Ellis as Villa upped his game in the final round by sending Ellis to the canvas twice. The first with a hard left hook, and the second was with a two punch combination that sent Ellis down against the ropes. One judge scored the contest 113-113 while the other two judges saw it for Villa at 114-112. Villa maintains an impressive record of (26-1, 24KO's) while Ellis suffers his first defeat and becomes (24-1, 15KO's).





Quotes
Roiman Villa:

“First of all, thank God for this victory. Second of all, he was a tough fighter. He moved a lot. He does hit hard. The first couple rounds I was a little tight but then I got loose.

 “I was on top of him from the first round. I know that fighters such as him who are quick sooner or later will get a little tired and that’s what I took advantage of.

 “My corner told me to knock him down (in the 12th round). I couldn’t do it on the first try but I kept going.

 “I thought he just fell on the last knockdown so I wasn’t sure (if it was a knockdown) . But if they want the rematch we’ll give them the rematch.

 “I like the Mexican fighters with balls and I like the way he fights so I would definitely give him the rematch.

 “I told him after the fight to smile and he had nothing to say.

 “I didn’t really feel like I needed the knockout in that last round, I just wanted to dominate.

 “Ellis is a good fighter, but this was mostly about what I was able to do. All credit to God for allowing me to come out with my arm raised up high.

 “I’m not thinking about the future right now, just soaking in the moment.”

 
Rashidi Ellis:

 “I want the rematch right away. I’m fine (physically).

 “I thought I was dictating the fight. I don’t know. I don’t know what happened.

 “I totally disagree with the decision. I was winning most of the rounds. Yeah, he had the knockdown but other than that I was winning most of the rounds.”

********************************************************************************

To open up the Premier Boxing Champions card inside the Capital One Arena in Washington, DC, Demetrius "Boo Boo" Andrade of Providence, Rhode Island won by ten-round unanimous decision over Demond D'BestAtIt" Nicholson of Laurel, Maryland. Andrade was the more active fighter throughout the contest. He landed a right hook that sent Nicholson to the canvas for a eight count. The knockdown didn't cause any damage but it put Andrade ahead on the scorecards early. During the second round the two fighters got tangled up and it appeared that Nicholson hurt his right shoulder. As the rounds continued Nicholson landed a clean body shot on Andrade that seemed to be a knockdown, but it was scored as so. In the later rounds both fighters exchanged punches with Andrade scoring the cleaner shots and another knockdown in the final round. All three judges scored the contest 100-88. Andrade has a successful super middleweight debut and improves his record to (32-0, 19KO's) as Demond Nicholson record drops to (26-5-1, 22KO's).



Quotes

Demetrius Andrade:

 “I felt good, I can definitely tell the weight difference but the speed and combinations and the IQ was the plan today and that’s what we did. The weight (was different).”

 Charlos, Benavidez vs. Plant winner?

“The only way I can say I’m the best is by fighting the best. Everyone knows that Demond Nicholson is a dog. That’s why we took this fight. He took this fight because he knew I was coming up and he definitely has the animal in him. He showed it today and we’re just boxing – IQ.”

 On the 10th round knockdown:

“That was definitely clean. Nice left. Definitely a knockdown. That left hand. Boom. It was great to be here. I want to thank SHOWTIME for the opportunity and PBC and everyone that came out today. It’s me again baby!

"I thought I would be able to get him out of there in the deep waters, but he's a tough guy. I think we both cut each other early in the fight, but at the end of the day we do what we have to do. 

 "I threw some nice combinations and some nice hard shots, but he came in shape. People get up to fight me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment