Monday, April 22, 2019

Crawford Defended His Title After Khan Couldn't Finish Bout!



Terence Crawford (35-0, 26 KOs), 31, of Omaha, Nebraska, won by sixth-round knockout over Amir Khan (33-5, 20 KOs), 32, of England, in the main event of the first Top Rank Boxing on ESPN pay-per-view card Saturday at Madison Square Garden. It wasn't the kind of win Crawford anticipated to have, but it keeps him a undefeated title holder.


Crawford almost ended the fight early in the first round when he landed a right hand to the side of Khan's head that badly wobbled him and then a left hand to sent him to the canvas. Khan got up quickly but was unsteady, and Crawford was all over him to nearly knock him down again as the round came to an end.

In the second round Crawford was able to keep the pressure on Khan by landing more hard shots that nearly dropped Khan again. Crawford is known to switch styles turned southpaw, and started to catch Khan with his right jab. Khan had problems getting his offense going and seemed more concerned with protecting his chin from the accurate Crawford. Khan did manage to pull himself together in the fifth round where both fighters exchanged punches.

In the sixth round Crawford landed a left hand very low that clearly hurt Khan. The shot looked to land in the upper thigh, right pelvic area. Khan who was given time to recover from Fields.


The fight ended when Khan's trainer, Virgil Hunter, told referee David Fields that Khan could not continue after an accidental low blow in the sixth round.

Khan:

"I was caught with shot below the belt. I could feel it in my stomach. I couldn't continue. I could feel it in my legs. I'm a warrior. I would never give up in a fight like this. I was in pain. I couldn't move. I could not continue. I'm not one to give up in any fight. I fight to the end. I'm gonna come back stronger from this."

Crawford:

"I could tell I was breaking him down! It was just a matter of time. I just took my time. I was disappointed the corner stopped the fight in that manner, but Virgil is a great coach, and he was looking out for his fighter. I know he didn't want to go out like that."

Andre Ward said that "Bud" is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment