Saturday, April 22, 2017

Andre Berto vs Shawn Porter, How Critical Will A Loss Be For Their Careers?

Shawn Porter (26-2-1, 16 KOs) vs. Andre Berto (31-4, 24 KOs), welterweight world title elimination bout LIVE on Showtime Championship Boxing April 22!



The eliminator bout between Berto and Porter is a very important one for two fighters that are trying to make a comeback from their championship title fight losses. Berto battled Floyd Mayweather Jr. for the WBC and WBA title but lost by unanimous decision at the MGM Grand Las Vegas, NV in 2015. He remained active seven months later when he redeemed a loss to Victor Ortiz by getting a TKO victory 1:14 into the fourth round in Carson, CA. The last bout for Porter was when he faced Keith Thurman for Thurman's WBA title where he lost by unanimous decision on June 25, 2016 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY. 

The way the welterweight division has been exploding with rising stars and current title holders being challenged more often, the Berto/Porter fight will have to be a action packed contest from start to finish if these fighters want to continue to compete at the top of the championship race. 



ANDRE BERTO (31-4, 24 KOs)

“I started my career in New York and it feels great to be back here in New York. This is going to be a fantastic night of fights. I go a long way back with a lot these fighters up here. It’s tremendous to see these fighters still dialed-in and at this level. I’m the old vet in the group now.

“I’m still on top of my game. That’s something that’s hard to do. We had a tremendous camp. One of the best I’ve had in years. I was focused the whole time.

“I’m looking forward to putting those straps on just like they never left. I respect Shawn and his dad, but right now, they’re in the way.

“I’m going to show you what it is to go through adversity in life and make it to the top again. Saturday night, we’re going to make it happen.”

SHAWN PORTER (26-2-1, 16 KOs)

“When it’s time for the fight, Andre Berto and I are going to put on a show. I’ve seen this man get hit, I’ve seen him get put down and he got up. I know he can be hurt and I know he can be stopped, He’s a man just like me. He’s ready, but not as ready as me. You don’t want to miss it on Saturday night.

“The number one thing for me is to win this fight and show Keith Thurman that I’m ready for the rematch. There is nothing allowed but positive energy. We’re almost there. I’m definitely excited.

“Andre Berto is dangerous if you allow him to be. We do everything we can to make sure that doesn’t happen. I have no doubt in my mind that we won’t be in any danger on Saturday night.

“We saw during the Floyd fight that footwork can work against Andre Berto. Against Josesito Lopez we saw that you can box Berto, but you need to get out of the pocket. Against Victor Ortiz we saw that he got put down by Victor. The difference between Victor Ortiz and myself is that I’m a fighter who never stops. I’m coming after you.

“The jab will be a key to this fight. I can throw my jab a lot of different ways. You’ll see me using my jab a lot in this fight.

“Some people thought Garcia-Thurman lacked action, but I’m not worried about that for this one. I don’t condone boos. That’s just how I fight.”

No comments:

Post a Comment