Sunday, February 9, 2020

Gary Russell Jr. Defends His WBC Featherweight Title One More Time!



Gary Russell Jr. defeated Tugstsogt Nyambayar by twelve-round unanimous decision in the main event Saturday night at the PPL Center, in Allentown, Penn.

Russell won by the scores of 118-110, 117-111 and 116-112.




Russell's conditioning, speed and experience was the winning factor in this fight. Nyambayar was never hurt by Russell at any moment during this championship bout, but his lack of experience didn't allow him to adjust his game plan. 

“We put the work in every day in the gym,” said Russell. “I’m a perfectionist. We knew we had a very tough opponent and I knew he was going to bring his physical best. He had everything to gain and nothing to lose. We just focused and showed I’m one of the longest reigning champions for a reason.


“The difference was ring generalship, hand speed and boxing IQ. He only had 11 pro fights, of course he was an Olympic silver medalist, but he only had those 11 pro fights. I’ve had over 30 and I think my experience was enough to overcome and win this fight.”



“It wasn’t my night,” said Nyambayar. “He was the better man tonight. I didn’t do my work the way I was supposed to. He is a great champion who fought a great fight. I made a mistake by waiting for him during the fight. I’d love the rematch if I can get it.”

This could be the last title defense for WBC 126-lb champion Russell Jr. (31-1, 18 KOs) as he looks to move up in weight classes to compete with fighters such as Leo Santa Cruz, Gervonta Davis and even a grudge match with Vasyl Lomachenko. Russell definitely has very good hand speed but it's his punching power that would be questioned at the 130 and135 pound weight divisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment