Saturday, January 7, 2023

Gervonta "Tank" Davis Hector Luis Garcia At The Capital One Arena In The Nations Capital




(Photos by Amanda Westcott/SHOWTIME)

In the main-event in front of a crowd of 19,731 on Saturday night, January 7, Baltimore, MD's Gervonta "Tank" Davis defended his WBA Lightweight Title on SHOWTIME PPV from the Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C.. Gervonta Davis won by TKO over Hector Luis Garcia of San Juan de la Maguana, Dominican Republic. Davis and Garcia were pretty much even throughout the first seven rounds of this championship contest. They were exchanging punches with counter shot after counter shot. It was the eighth-round when things changed in Davis favor. Davis started landing some hard shots to the face of Garcia. Garcia was hurt as time was running out in the eighth. Garcia made it back to his corner, but complained that he couldn't see so his trainer waived the contest off at 15 seconds into the ninth-round. Davis remains undefeated at (28-0,26 KO's) while Hector Garcia gets his first defeat and now is (16-1, 10KO's).










Quotes
Gervonta Davis:

 “A little surprised (he didn’t come out). But I knew he was hurt bad but he’s a fighter and he didn’t want to show it. I knew he was hurt though.

 “I feel as though – I have stuff to work on. Everything. I’m a fighter and I’m not retired so I’m always willing to learn.

 “I wasn’t throwing a lot of shots (in the beginning) because I was trying to beat him mentally. I was trying to trick him with my hands and my eyes and things like that because he’s a tough fighter. I had to bait him.

“His southpaw style bothered me a little bit because I don’t fight a lot of southpaws but it’s okay; it’s a part of the game.

 “God willing I’m ready for the fight (with Ryan Garcia). It’s scheduled for April. I’m here. He’s been training. He’s been talking. And let’s see who’s really about that.

 “On my end I’m ready. I’ll be in the gym Monday. Well, not Monday. I’ll probably take a week off but I’ll be back for sure soon.

 “I have to bring my people in close and listen to my close ones, listen to Al Haymon and just stay focused. There’s a lot of bumps in the road but if we stay focused together – that’s how I’ll (maintain) longevity in the sport.”

 Hector Luis Garcia:

 “When I got the shot to my head in the final round, that’s when I couldn’t see from my eye. I didn’t know where I was when he hit me with that shot. My vision is back but my head still hurts. I couldn’t see from my right eye. It was going well up until that point. I was picking my shots.”

No comments:

Post a Comment