Saturday, May 4, 2019

Lamont Roach Jr. Wins WBO International and NABO Super Featherweight Titles!



Upper Marlboro, MD's Lamont Roach, Jr. defeated Jonathan Oquendo of Vega Alta, Puerto Rico by 10-round unanimous decision at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, NV.




It was a tough victory for Roach Jr. as he had to withstand some continuous pressure from the veteran Oquendo. In the early rounds of this contest Oquendo forced the action by getting in close and moving Roach Jr. against the ropes. When Roach Jr. was against the ropes that's when Oquendo landed some good body shots and some sneaky hooks. During one of the early exchanges Roach Jr. suffered a bloody nose that continued throughout the fight. Roach looked a little uncomfortable from the pressure, but continued to fight his way through the rounds. As they entered into the later rounds Roach Jr. looked to make the adjustments he needed to gain some ground. Roach Jr. won rounds by putting more combinations together to edge out Oquendo in the closing seconds of the late rounds. The fight looked to be close going into the eighth round until Oquendo had a point taken away by referee Russell Mora for excessive headbutts. With Roach Jr. being more active in the later rounds and a point being taken away from Oquendo the judges scored it 96-93, 97-92 twice.

Lamont Roach Jr.:

“He hit me with a clean body shot, but I got myself together and continued to box him. I felt them from Round 1 to Round 10. I’m glad I got this experience. This is what I need to go up to the championship level. He’s as tough as they come. If someone else brings the fight to me I know I’ll be ready. I know I can go 10 or even 12 rounds.”

Lamont Roach Jr. improves to (19-0-1, 7 KO's) while the verteran Jonathan Oquendo falls to (30-6, 19 KO's).

No comments:

Post a Comment