Thursday, May 11, 2023

ROLANDO ROMERO VS. ISMAEL BARROSO FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE QUOTES


Rolando Romero and No. 1 Contender Ismael Barroso Battle for Vacant WBA 140-Pound World Title Headlining Live on SHOWTIME This Saturday, May 13.

Hard-hitting contender Rolando “Rolly” Romero and No. 1 contender Ismael Barroso previewed their showdown for the vacant WBA Super Lightweight World Title at the final press conference Thursday before they meet in the SHOWTIME main event this Saturday, May 13 from The Chelsea inside The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas headlining a Premier Boxing Champions event.
 
The press conference also featured fighters competing on the undercard of the SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® telecast. Action beginning at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT will see former two-division world champion Rances Barthelemy duel the all-action Omar “El Relámpago” Juarez in the 10-round super lightweight co-main event, and super lightweight contenders Batyr Akhmedov and Kenneth Sims Jr., facing off in a 12-round WBA Super Lightweight World Title Eliminator in the telecast opener.
 
Barroso stepped in on less than a month’s notice after Alberto Puello, who previously held the WBA 140-pound title that will be fought for on Saturday night, had been dropped from the main event because of a failed VADA test.
 
Tickets for the live event, which is promoted by Mayweather Promotions and TGB Promotions, are on sale now and available for purchase through Ticketmaster.com.
 
Photos by Esther Lin/SHOWTIME

Here is what the fighters had to say Thursday from The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas:
 
ROLANDO ROMERO
“I think Barroso is actually a better fighter than Alberto Puello, because he can actually crack. Any time you’re in a fight with a puncher, you know it’s gonna be difficult.
 
“I’m not underestimating him. I know he can hit and he’s a little tricky. He throws a good straight left that comes out of nowhere that he’s been getting guys with. So I’m definitely not underestimating him.
 
“I’m going to make 140-pounds the most popping division in boxing. I see many pay-per-view events and I’m involved in all of them.
 
“The only thing that I learned from the Gervonta Davis fight is that I need to be patient. Patience is everything in life.
 
“Everyone can expect to see ‘Rolly’ with the world title around his waist Saturday night. Every fighter that boxes dreams of becoming world champion, so it would be a dream come true.
 
“All belts mean the same to me. My interim belt meant a lot to me too. I’m just blessed to be in the position to get my hands on another one.
 
“I do like trash talking, but this isn’t a trash talking fight. I have to respect this man next to me. Someone didn’t want to follow all the rules, so I have to be grateful Barroso is here.
 
“This is the beginning of the ‘Rolly’ show again. It’s gonna be fireworks.
 
ISMAEL BARROSO
 
“I’m churning with the same intensity that I had 10 years ago. You’re going to see that hunger and power in the ring. I’m bringing my best.
 
“I’m the number one contender and I got the opportunity that I deserve. I know some people thought they were left behind, but that’s not for me to worry about. ‘Rolly’ is here to take advantage of his opportunity, so good for him.
 
“People who know me, know that I’m a warrior. ‘Rolly’ is a warrior too. So if you’re tuning into this fight on Saturday night, you’re going to see a battle between two fighters who are very eager to become world champion. That means fireworks.
 
“Winning the title would be another blessing and a great source of happiness. It’s something that I’ve strived for my whole career and it would be the culmination of everything that I’ve trained for my entire life.
 
“The lesson I’m here to show is that it doesn’t matter how many times you fall down, you have to keep getting up and battling every single moment. Because dreams can come true. Keep striving for whatever you want, no matter how old you are.”


No comments:

Post a Comment