Sunday, March 24, 2019

Anthony Peterson VS. Argenis Mendez Ends With Draw!


(Photo by Daniel Cork)

Super lightweight Anthony Peterson out of Washinton, DC battled Argenis "La Tormenta" Mendez to a 10-round draw. Peterson used the ring to do a lot of moving throughout the contest. Both Peterson and Mendez took turns trading shots during the round. Neither fighter looked to take control of the fight.  Even during the close inside work both fighters were doing, no one gained a clear advantage in the exchanges.

Judge John Gradowski saw the bout for Mendez, 96-94 while judge Larry Hazzard,  Jr. scored it for Peterson by the same score.  Judge Paul Wallace saw it a draw at 95-95.

Peterson is now 37-1-1, 24 KO's.  Mendez is 25-5-2, 12 KO's.

Peterson vs. Mendez Post Fight Quotes:

ANTHONY PETERSON

“I can’t be that disappointed because I didn’t lose, but I was just happy to fight in front of my fans. I’ve been out of the ring for a long time and I think I did okay, but if the judges saw a draw they saw a draw. I’m not mad about it.

"Of course I thought I won the fight. I boxed, and because I felt my timing wasn't quite there, I used my feet. Normally I'd be more aggressive and walk guys down. If I can stay active, you'll see the difference in my performances.

"It's not a step forward or a step back, it's a standstill. I want to fight for the world championship and I think tonight was ultimately a step in the right direction. 

 “Last night was actually the first night I really studied Mendez’s fights and I knew he was good and slick. There were times I didn’t engage because of his countering. I took my time and used my jab and moved. Congratulations to him on a great fight. I’m happy to be back in the ring”


ARGENIS MENDEZ

"I didn’t think it was a draw. I know every round was close, but I think I won the fight. I don’t want to say it was easy but I think I won comfortably. He was running the whole fight and I was trying to throw counter punches and catch him.

"I could have thrown more punches in the first half of the fight. I think that was the difference, but I don't think you can win the fight on the run.

"I knew that I was on his home turf and it was in my mind to do a little bit extra. Peterson is a great fighter and he's good for the sport so I knew that I had to push the fight. 

“People know that I won this fight and I’m going to keep going forward taking on the best. I give Anthony a lot of of credit. He came to fight and he tried to control the distance. I respect what he did.”

No comments:

Post a Comment