Sunday, March 24, 2019

Sergey Lipinets Gets Technical Knockout Over Lamont Peterson!


(Photos by Daniel Cork)

Sergey "Samurai" Lipinets of Beverly Hills, CA defeated former three time world champion Lamont Peterson in front of Peterson's home crowd by tenth round TKO at 2:59 in the main event of the card at the MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, MD. After twenty five years of boxing Peterson made the announcement to retire from the sport. 


It was a battle in the early rounds with Peterson seeming to have a slight edge. Peterson did a good job of landing shots to the body of Lipinets. Lipinets came on strong in the middle rounds and looked to get control of the fight.  Lipinets started to land hard shots to the head of Peterson and in the 10th round, he landed a solid right hand that wobbled Peterson.  

Lipinets saw that Peterson was hurt and pressed forward and landed a shot that dropped Peterson to the canvas. After Peterson hit the canvas Barry Hunter threw in the towel to signal referee Harvey Dock to stop the bout at 2:59 of the 10th.

Peterson retires with a record of 34-5-1, 17 KO's.  Lipinets, improves to 15-1, 11 KO's. 

Peterson and Lipinets Quotes:

LAMONT PETERSON

“It’s been a long career but today is the day. I’m thankful for the support. I love everyone here and I’m always going to support this area, but I’m sure it’s time for me to hang it up. I couldn’t go out in a better way here at home. This will be the last time you see me in the ring.

 “It was back and forth and we were hitting each other with some good shots. It kind of just came out of nowhere at the end. That’s been happening to me more now and that let me know that it’s time for this to be the last time in the ring.”


SERGEY LIPINETS

“I feel great about the statement I made to the welterweight division. I just fought an excellent fighter. This let me know where I’m at in the 147-pound weight class. You can see that I have no problem with the size. Peterson is an excellent fighter with unbelievable skills and he’s showed me what I can really do.

 “You’ve seen what I did at 140-pounds and now what I can do here. I made a big jump in competition from my last fight to this one. My new trainer Joe Goossen gets all the credit. We’ve had an excellent camp with perfect sparring that taught me a lot and got me ready for tonight.”

No comments:

Post a Comment